Friday, March 11, 2011

New Updates from the Doctor



The results from my 11 vials of blood have come back. I have low Protein S, a part of the Trombophilia that was tested. The low Protein S is a blood clotting disorder, not a lack of vitamins or protein in my diet. It is believed to be hereditary. It is also what can cause 2nd and 3rd trimester miscarriage/stillborn. I think this is what happened to our little Levi. I asked how blood clotting could affect carrying the baby. The nurse practitioner that I talked to today said that a blood clot occurs and blood supply to the baby/placenta is stopped and the baby is lost. This would explain why he was lost so quickly after a perfect start to our pregnancy.
The low Protein S can cause a thromboembolism. Sooooo....today I picked up my shots!! I have to give myself an anticoagulant injection once a day to prevent a blood clot. The nurse practitioner just kept saying, "We just need to keep you pregnant, honey." I am 20 weeks pregnant today. I asked her if the shots would reduce my risk of loss - she told me I would be high risk until the end.

I am thankful for God's absolute Sovereignty. It all started because we opted (yes, it was an option) to go ahead and test for Down's. That test came back abnormal which sent us to the Specialist. The specialist looked at my history and suggested that he run the test for Thrombophilia. That, in turn, came back abnormal. What a blessing that this has been detected and can be treated.

Some have asked if there is something I can be doing to carry this pregnancy longer. Other than the shots, there is nothing that can be done. I am scared, as I feel I am a bit of a ticking time bomb. If a clot occurs, we would lose our precious girl. I find myself praying that if we lose our girl, please Lord, let me hold her. We are absolutely trusting God to allow us to hold our healthy little girl in July. He is Sovereign and has had his hand in this pregnancy from the start. Lily Eve's days have been numbered from the start and we trust that those days would be much longer than ours.

We are taking everything one day at a time and continuing to trust our Savior. We had a sneak peak ultrasound on Tuesday (I wasn't supposed to technically have the ultrasound but I told the technician since it was already scheduled I had promised Lydia to bring her a picture). She told me to hurry up and get on the table. She took 5 pictures and "shooed" me out the door :) Lily is a beautiful little girl who is getting so big - oh, yeah, Mommy's getting big, too, according to the doctor. I think getting weighed should not be part of each visit!!!

This picture is not as great as it is on the ultrasound picture. It's hard to take a picture of a picture :)

Thank you to those who are praying us through this journey.

1 comment:

Darby said...

My younger sister had to do the shots too. She had a perfect pregnancy her first time (only had swelling) and then she had a miscarriage the second time. That's when they realized she had the blot clot disorder. She has since had 2 healthy babies. We are praying for you and thinking of you!